02 November 2008

Halloweenness

No, I didn't dress up (as usual), but I did enjoy Halloween nonetheless.

Wednesday night, I went to a Missy Higgins concert at Sound in Salt Lake. I am absolutely enamored with that girl. She had me captivated the whole time, despite my legs' weariness. She even told a story about her first Halloween experience in the U.S. (she's Australian), which was comical. She had said she wants to dress up as something typical, like kids to, like a pumpkin or a bumblebee or something. Then she closed her story saying she'll be a "sexy pumpkin". I'd like to see that.



Thursday night, I met a group of friends at a local production of Nosferatu on stage at UVU. It's a hybrid of the original silent film projected onto a screen, along with every scene possible acted out on the stage and filmed live, seamlessly spliced with the original scenes they couldn't reproduce on stage. It was really impressive how they orchestrated everything so smoothly. It was fun and worth seeing.

On Halloween, at work, we decorated our row of cubicles as a prison. The kids had to walk down the prison hall to the warden's office (our supervisor) to get their candy. It was REALLY funny to watch their discomforted expressions as we would all turn around and grab the "bars" of our "cells" to peer out at them and point down the hall to the candy bowl. Of course, the candy bowl also has a monstrous little hand sticking up that suddenly folds down as if to slap you and says "Happy Halloween!" in a creepy voice when it senses motion. More than one child ran back down the prison hallway back to mom and dad, making distressed noises but triumphantly carrying their well-earned spoils!



This is my cell...er...cubicle. I swear sometimes it feels like this.



I had carved my pumpkin in Logan, so I just took pictures as Javier and Steph carved theirs. Steph got a bit worked up and said mean things to hers as she stabbed it. Javier used his classic lip-biting technique to get just the right precision. But the results were good.




I was the designated photographer Halloween night when they and the little guy all went trick-or-treating as beatniks.



After the boy went to bed, the three of us went to Velour for Monkey Grinder, a local group that plays a wicked combination of metal, industrial, indie, jazzy, circus music interspersed with comedic Halloweeny mayhem. Sorry. That's the best I can do for a description. It was fun, though, and quirky and darkly funny and very Utahish, but in a pretty decent way. If you're ever bored on Halloween in Utah Valley, go check it out, if for no other reason than to see the costumes like the Flight of the Conchords robot who can't sit down, Sarah Palin, creepy murderous pink bunny, or the disturbingly hairy Little Mermaid.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

You found Monkeygrinder Utahish? Woah, what?

JJ said...

Ha, well they're all Utah-edgy. Like they're bad-A for Utah and all, but still mostly clean, wholesome family fun. He tells a comical story of finding his band member "Bones" drunken in the gutter and destitute, but his name's Jarom, and you just know he grew up in a cozy suburban Mormon home. It's that weird mix of heavy metal and family values that you don't often find in other places I've lived, like L.A. or Seattle or Montreal. :-)

Brittany said...

Yeah I know what you mean. They're pretty weird for Provo, but that isn't saying much.
But heavy metal and family values? Did they write a thrasher song about the Proclamation on the Family or something? Your descriptions aren't at all what I would have expected. Did you not like them?

JJ said...

Ha, I just mean it was mostly family friendly yet rockin' at parts and slightly macabre in others.

Honestly, I got bored with them by intermission, but the second part was actually more fun and diverse, I think. I might go again if I didn't have other plans. :-)

The Impossible K said...

Ooh! Thank you for posting that video of Missy Higgins!! Aww- it makes me heart her even more! And I couldn't help but smile when I heard Mark's infamous, honkin' laugh. :)
Nice Halloween pics too. Javier and his fam make perfect beatniks.